A lesson on choosing a career. Explores self-reflection, industry research, skill evaluation, mentor guidance, internships, goal-setting, and adaptation strategies. This resource offers you invaluable tools for making informed career decisions, aligning your interests and skills with potential roles, leveraging mentorship, gaining practical experience, and fostering personal growth.
Students learn about the fundamental steps in choosing a career. Our video teaches you about the importance of self-reflection in identifying your interests, passions, strengths, and weaknesses. Delve into the exploration and research phase, learning about different industries, job roles, and their requirements. We provide strategies to evaluate your skills and interests to align with potential careers and underscore the significance of seeking guidance from mentors or career counselors. Gain insights into practical experiences like internships or part-time jobs to ‘try out’ career options. Understand the process of goal setting and also creating an actionable plan for your career path while discovering how to adapt to changes and learn from setbacks. This video offers a comprehensive, step-by-step approach to career decision-making.
Use this video lesson on the topic of choosing a career. Learn related concepts of:
- Career Exploration
- Goal Setting
- Earning and Income
- Career Development
- Education and Training
- Financial Planning
- Income and Careers
7-12th grades. Middle School. High School. College. Adult Education.
45-60 minutes. It may be necessary to adjust the lesson plan and allocate more or less time to certain topics, depending on the needs and interests of the students.
Hand out the worksheet below (see the GET LESSON button near the bottom of the page).
Show students the video and have and have them complete the worksheet. Review the questions on the worksheet. A more comprehensive and detailed lesson plan can be accessed below for further instruction and study.
After watching the video, have students tell what the most important things they learned from the video.
Lesson Plan: How Do I Choose a Career?
Title: How Do I Choose a Career?
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- Understand the importance of self-reflection in career planning.
- Use research and exploration to identify potential career paths.
- Evaluate their skills and interests in relation to potential careers.
- Understand the role of mentors and career counselors in career planning.
- Appreciate the value of practical experience (e.g., internships, part-time jobs) in career choice.
- Develop a goal-setting strategy for their career path.
- Understand the necessity of adaptability in career planning and development.
- “How Do I Choose a Career?” video
- Pens and Paper
- Online career interest inventories suggestion tool (see link below)
- Computer or Tablet with Internet access
Introduction (15 minutes)
1. Open the class with a discussion on the importance of career planning. Ask students why they think choosing a career is a significant decision and note their responses.
2. Introduce the video “How Do I Choose a Career?” and ask students to take notes as they watch, specifically on the seven steps detailed in the video.
Activity 1: Video Viewing (20 minutes)
3. Watch the video “How Do I Choose a Career?” together as a class.
Activity 2: Group Discussion (20 minutes)
4. Divide students into small groups and have them discuss the seven steps detailed in the video. Each group should summarize their discussion to share with the class.
Activity 3: Self-Reflection and Online Career Interest Inventories (25 minutes)
5. Guide students to complete an online career interest inventory and write a one-page reflection on what they learned about themselves and potential careers they might be interested in.
Activity 4: Role Play (30 minutes)
6. In their groups, students should role play two scenarios: a) conducting an informational interview with a professional in a field they’re interested in, and b) seeking advice from a mentor or career counselor.
Conclusion (10 minutes)
7. Wrap up the class by summarizing the key points discussed during the lesson. Re-emphasize the importance of self-reflection, research, seeking guidance, practical experience, setting goals, and adaptability in career planning.
Quiz (to be taken after the lesson, 10 minutes)
Give quiz based on the video content and discussions in class. This will help reinforce students’ understanding and recall of the seven steps to career planning.
Ask students to conduct a research on one career they are interested in. They should prepare a brief presentation on their findings, including information on job roles, growth prospects, salary range, necessary skills and education, and any other relevant details.
- How does self-reflection influence your career choice?
- Why is research and exploration important in choosing a career?
- What role do skills and interests play in your career choice?
- How can mentors and career counselors assist in career planning?
- Why is practical experience (e.g., internships, part-time jobs) crucial in career planning?
- How can goal setting help in advancing your career?
- Why is adaptability important in career planning and development?
This lesson plan is flexible and can be adapted based on the students’ age and academic level. For younger students or those with less work experience, you may want to spend more time on self-reflection and exploring different careers. For older students or those with more work experience, you might focus more on goal-setting and planning for future career transitions.
Career Suggestion Tool
- Career Suggestions Tool – This interactive tool is designed to help you discover a career that aligns with your specific situation, interests, and needs. By providing personalized recommendations, it guides you to potential career that could be a good fit for your lifestyle, skills, abilities, and financial goals.