Students will learn to calculate down payments using a percentage.
- Students will define down payment.
- Students will review percentages.
- Students will review convert percentages to decimals.
- Students will review calculating percentages.
- Students will use these skills to figure out down payments.
Suggested Grade Level
6th – 8th Grade
Sometimes, a down payment is simply a dollar amount of money, but sometimes it is a percentage.
Before we begin calculating down payments as a percentage, let’s review what a percent is.
What is a percent?
A percent is a part of a whole out of 100. If we say that we have 10% of a something, we have 10 out of 100. When we calculate a percent, we figure out what part of the whole that we have.
Calculating percents can help us figure out down payments.
If we calculate the percent of a down payment, then we know how much the person needs to pay for the down payment.