A lesson for students on how to properly endorse a check. Covers everything from basic tips to methods like blank, restrictive, and third-party endorsements. Includes essential advice to ensure your money lands safely in your bank account.
In this lesson, students learn how to properly endorse a check through a comprehensive video guide. The video covers the basics of check endorsement and emphasizes its continued relevance even in our digital age. It offers essential tips such as the appropriate ink color to use and how to ensure your name matches the one on the check. The lesson further explores three key types of endorsements, teaching students how each impacts the security and flexibility of cashing or depositing the check.
Use this video lesson on the topic of check endorsing basics. Learn related concepts of:
- Check Endorsement
- Banking Basics
- Financial Security
- Money Management
- Saving & Investing
- Risk Management
- Financial Responsibility
- Banking Procedures
- Financial Literacy
- Credit Management
- Fraud Prevention
7-12th grades. Middle School. High School. College. Adult Education.
45-60 minutes. It may be necessary to adjust the lesson plan and allocate more or less time to certain topics, depending on the needs and interests of the students.
Hand out the worksheet below (see the GET LESSON button near the bottom of the page).
Show students the video and have and have them complete the worksheet. Review the questions on the worksheet. A more comprehensive and detailed lesson plan can be accessed below for further instruction and study.
After watching the video, have students tell what the most important things they learned from the video.
Lesson Plan: How to Endorse a Check
- Students will understand the importance and the process of endorsing a check.
- Students will learn different types of endorsements and when to use them.
- Computer/Projector for video display
- Whiteboard or flip chart
- Handout copies of sample checks
- Blue or black ink pens for students
- Computer or Mobile devices for interactive quiz and chatbot session
- Internet connection
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Briefly discuss the evolution of money transactions, mentioning digital payments, credit cards, and checks.
- Ask the students if they’ve ever received a check and what they did with it.
Watch Video (7 minutes)
- Play the video titled “How to Endorse a Check.”
Discussion and Review (10 minutes)
- After the video, initiate a discussion based on the following questions:
- Why is it important to know how to endorse a check?
- What materials do you need to endorse a check correctly?
- What are the risks involved in a blank endorsement?
- How does a restrictive endorsement make the process more secure?
- What is a third-party endorsement, and when would you use it?
Activity: Hands-On Endorsement Practice (8 minutes)
- Distribute handout copies of sample checks to each student.
- Ask students to practice endorsing the check in all three ways discussed in the video.
- Walk around the classroom to check and give feedback.
Technology Integration: AI Chatbot Activity (5 minutes)
- Introduce the “MI Chat chatbot,” a tool designed to reinforce concepts through interactive questioning.
- Ask students to interact with the chatbot on their computer or mobile devices.
- The chatbot will ask questions about how to endorse a check, types of endorsements, and the risks and benefits involved.
Quiz Time (5 minutes)
- Administer a short multiple-choice quiz based on the video to assess the students’ understanding.
- Go through the answers after everyone has completed the quiz.
Closing (5 minutes)
- Summarize the key points covered in the lesson.
- Ask students to share one thing they learned that they didn’t know before.
- Remind students to take a snapshot of both sides of a check before endorsing it and to always check their bank account to confirm the funds have been properly deposited.
- Class discussion participation
- Hands-On Activity
- MI Chat chatbot interaction
- This lesson can be adapted for online learning environments.
- The quiz results can be used to identify areas that may need further review.
Ask students to write a one-page essay on the importance of financial literacy, including knowing how to endorse checks, in the modern world. By the end of this lesson, students should be confident in their ability to properly endorse a check, knowing the risks and benefits of each method.
MI Chat Chatbot Tool
- How to endorse a check questions with MI Chat chatbot – Use the MI Chat chatbot to test your students’ understanding of the lesson. The MI Chat chatbot is an interactive platform designed to deepen understanding of various subjects, aligning with specific queries and thoughts. Offering personalized insights, it directs users toward a clearer grasp of topics, ensuring they match their learning pace, knowledge level, and cognitive goals.